The El Niño phenomenon is characterized by extreme climatic conditions; extreme temperature rise with a little rainfall, and at the opposite extreme, there is unusually heavy rainfall.
- Diseases related to water scarcity or shortage such as diarrhea and skin diseases
- Red Tide Blooms : Paralytic shellfish poisoning
- Disorders associated with high temperatures: heat cramps, heat exhaustion, exertional heat injury and heat stroke
What to do?
- Conserve water and use it wisely.
- Protect water sources from contamination.
- Drink more fluids.
- Listen to the updates on shellfish ban.
- Wear light clothing.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity.
Be prepared for the coming of El Niño phenomenon!
Source: Department of Health