Typhoid Fever is caused by Salmonella Typhi Bacteria
Mode of Transmission
- Ingestion of food and water contaminated with human waste
Signs and Symptoms
- Sustained high fever
- Malaise (weakness)
- Anorexia (loss of appetite)
- Diarrhea or constipation and abdominal discomfort
Prevention and Control
- Boil water for drinking. (Upon reaching boiling point, extend boiling for two or more minutes) or
- Do water chlorination
- Cook food well and always use food cover to prevent flies and other insects from contaminating them.
- Wash thoroughly all vegetables and fruits especially those that are eaten raw.
- Avoid eating street vended foods.
- Wash hands with soap and water after using the toilet and before eating.
- Keep surrounding cleam to prevent breeding of flies.
Source: Department of Health