Vibrio cholerae bacteria causes Cholera
Mode of Transmission
Eating of food or drinking of water contaminated with human waste.
Signs and Symptoms
- Sudden onset of frequent painless watery stools
- Rapid dehydration (e.g. sunken eyeballs, wrinkled and dry skin)
- Replace lost body fluid by giving Oral Rehydration Solution (ORESOL) or a homemade solution composed of 1 teaspoon of salt, 4 teaspoons of sugar mix to 1liter of water. If diarrhea persists, consult your health workers or bring the patient to the nearest hospital.
Prevention and Control
- Drink only safe and clean water. If unsure, boil drinking water (Upon reaching boiling point, extend boiling for two or more minutes), or
- Do water chlorination.
- Keep food away from insects and rats by covering it.
- Wash and cook food properly.
- Sanitary disposal of human waste.
- Use toilet properly and clean toilet everyday.
- Wash hands with soap after using toilet and before eating.
- Keep surroundings clean to prevent flies and other insects and rodents from breeding.
Source: Department of Health